Apply to be an IGDA Scholar
Applying to be one of this year’s Scholars is as straightforward as filling in a form. We will have a separate form for each of the different events where we host scholarship opportunities.
- Only full-time undergraduate, graduate or doctoral (or similar) students, or former students who graduated in the 6 months prior to the event they are applying for, are eligible.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older as of the date of the event. (Also note that certain aspects of some events may carry higher age restrictions)
- Applicants must be IGDA members in good standing. If you are not currently an IGDA Member, you must join the IGDA before applying for the scholarship. All applications will be verified. If you aren’t currently a member, you can join today.
- When asked for your IGDA Membership number, if you are associated with IGDA Finlan, Japan or UKIE, you may simply write your country name or “UKIE”. Applications from all other countries and organizations must have a valid IGDA membership number accessible via their IGDA.org account.
- Applicants are eligible for a scholarship if your application for the corresponding event is submitted before the cutoff date listed below.
- Applicants are only eligible to be awarded two scholarships. Previous scholarship winners who have already been awarded two scholarships before 2013 are eligible for a third provided all other criteria are met.
- Applicants are only eligible to be awarded one scholarship to each conference. E.g. A prior E3 scholar is not eligible to apply for E3 in subsequent years. Note: Each instance of GDC (GDC, GDC Europe etc.) is considered a different conference.
- Successful applicants are responsible for all travel arrangements, housing and other related costs.
NOTE: GDC 2016 scholarship winners will receive a partial travel reimbursement stipend based on their distance to travel from university.
- Successful applicants will be required to write a short report describing their experiences as an IGDA Scholar.
Applications will be judged by a panel of game industry professionals. To help students hone their applications, and to better understand what the judges are looking for, here is the basic criteria which the judges are asked to use when rating applicants.
- Relevance – Will attending the event help the student achieve his or her specific educational and/or career goals?
- Initiative – Has the student demonstrated continued dedication to game development and effort to his or her education?
- Engagement – Has the student demonstrated a breadth of activity and volunteerism within his or her community?
- Communication – Are the ideas expressed in the essays communicated effectively and efficiently?
|Event||Event Date||Application Deadline||Application Form|
|GDC 2016||14th – 18th March 2016||15th December 2015||Applications are closed.|